Monday 26 November 2007

Think, think and then think again....

Another Monday, another day, another week... another life, another door closed,... where is the one that's opened?

Questions to be asked, or answers that have not yet been delivered? I am always stuck somewhere inbetween... How many other people out there, might feel the same feeling (feel a feeling - superb!) from time to time?

I was reading an article the other day about women at work, but relax! It was no different to thousands of other articles of similar content, that is, it was full of bitching about either sex (depending on the author's sex of course!), highly inaccurate, full of abrupt generalizations and taboos. And my question is so simply as this: WHY DOES "WOMEN AT WORK" STILL MAKE THE NEWS?

Why on earth, do I catch myself wondering whether I have equal rights with men at work, when we all had the same shit together, went through the same exams, in the same universities, and did as well as they did?

I have never felt undermined by my classmates, my fellow students, or any of my professors for being a woman. Nobody ever warned me back then about all these
clichés...

Not to mention all these incredible books, written by allegedly gurus of the field! (Sorry, guys, what's your field of expertise once again?! Didn't quite catch the name I am afraid....). Just to bring a random example, (please note that I have not read the book and do not intend to for reasons that I explain below), while browsing Amazon's book section, the title "
Dos and Taboos Around the World for Women in Business".

Says who? First question that jumped into my mind. I read on... Obviously, I am terribly intrigued (or annoyed... one might think) not because of the content, not because someone wants to help women or warn them for what's out there expecting them, but because someone felt the need to write such a book! And because a lot of women also feel the need to read it, thus giving it a purpose and justifying its existence.

The book is signed by four authors (researchers? sociologists? nah.....)! Three women and one guy sat all together and decided to write this book to share their own point of view regarding this "issue", as it is so often called! I did some further research, only to find out that the top guy (of course the main author was the guy - notice the irony here?! - is... (first credential) an experienced businessman! And a credible author? With one of his books being used as a textbook in colleges!

So, it's true! Isn't it? Not only there is discrimination, but it is also NOT used as textbook in colleges... You might think that I write this post being a little bit upset(i.e. angry). Actually, you might be correct. I had been thinking about this myself... but my sex has suddenly become my most discussed attribute since I graduated and entered the adult professional work. (Excuse me, but isn't all this a bit childish?)

And that is what REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS!!!








No comments: